Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mt. Whitney will have to wait

We had to cancel. My DH had an emergency at the beach so we coulden't go.

Here's what happened... DH is a lifeguard at our city beach. He was working in the tower when he recieved a message at around 5 p.m. that a kayak was taken out and the person was attempting a paddle out to some oil derricks several miles offshore. Unless you are prepared this is extremely dangerous, and he had a feeling that this person was not prepared. He coulden't leave his tower. The Coast Guard was on alert and everyone waited. Finally at around 6 p.m. the boat was spotted on the horizon. Because ocean distances are so deceptive, it was another hour before the kayaker pulled up on the beach. After some well chosen words for the offender; did he have any idea of the risk? currents, wind chop, no gps, water, and even sharks... sheesh! DH finally arrived home after 7:30 p.m. way too late for us to go.

My emotions were equal, part relief that the guy was safe and part frustration that the mountain would have to wait.

First day of school tommorrow!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.


xoxo lori